Triple Feature: Halloween Horror

This Triple Feature idea is one that I've had for the past few weeks. This is a test run to see if it is anything that I consider to be fun. With Halloween approaching I decided that do 3 mini reviews of 3 horror films. Creepshow 2, Leatherface and John Carpenter's classic Halloween. These films don't really have any true connections to each other they just all fall into the horror genre. With my next efforts I'll try to embrace a bit more connection in the films but its Halloween and I just want to watch some fun horror. Creepshow 2 and Leatherface are both movies I have not seen before and I stuck Halloween on the end because it's the film you need to watch every year.

Creepshow 2 (1987): Michael Gornick: I watched the first Creepshow for the first time this year shortly after the passing of George A. Romero and I found it to be quite enjoyable. The films are adaptations of Stephen King's work. The original film also had a screenplay written by King, this time the screenplay was written by Romero. Both films follow the horror anthology format with animated interludes filling up all the gaps.

The first Creepshow was composed of 5 anthology stories. This sequel cuts the stories down to 3 and shaves about 30 minutes off the runtime. Romero adapts the characters from King's stories and they undoubtedly feel like King characters although they tend to be consistently over the top. The comedy element that the first movie boasted is almost entirely scrapped. It does feel like each of the segments run a little too long. Creepshow 2 has less than half the original films budget and it shows, but Tom Savini gets a few chances to show off some great special effects, especially during The Raft which is probably the best short among the group.

All of the shorts are interesting but none pack the scares that the first movie does. Romero's touch in the directors chair is certainly missed.

Creepshow 2 gets 54 out of 100


Leatherface (2017): Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Maury: If you were ever curious about the origins of Leatherface now you've got it. Leatherface is currently still in theaters but available for rent on several platforms. I rented it on ITunes and its probably not worth the 7 dollar rental, but oh well. This film sat on the shelf for a year before it was ever released and we know that rarely happens to a film that could make any money at all. The first seems to serve as a prequel to the first film rather than another reboot. I was shocked to see the later Tobe Hooper (the director of the first two films) get a producers credit, but I'm sure his involvement in the project is slim to none. The cast also could've been much worse as Stephen Dorff, Lili Taylor and Marvel's Iron Fist Finn Jones all have sizeable roles.

The film is about a young Leatherface, who is named Jed who seems to be the only member of his family that isn't completely dedicated to the cause, that cause being murder and cannibalism. After he helps his family kill the daughter of a police offer Jed is placed in a mental hospital to keep him away from his deranged family. 10 years later the young man busts out of the hospital with a group of unbalanced teens while capturing one of the nurses in the process. Then the hit the road leaving some bodies in their path. A cop that is just as violent as they are is quickly on their trail.

I never felt like I needed to know what Leatherface's childhood was like but for some reason the studios seem to think that this is what fans want to see. Its not as brutal as I expected at all, but its still a pretty dull effort that isn't really entertaining at all. Some characters are more unlikeable than other but there isn't really one that is truly likeable. Its not terrible but I don't think it really needs to be seen unless you're a loyal follower for the franchise. There is a big of a twist but unfortunately I saw it coming and I'm sure others will too.

Leatherface gets 39 out of 100

Halloween (1978): John Carpenter: I've obviously saved the best for last as Halloween belongs among my favorite horror films of all time and I've watched it every Halloween for the last several years and I'm sure I'm just one of millions of others who has adopted the tradition.

Halloween is the story of Michael Myers, who murdered his older sister as a child and spent the next 15 years in an asylum. When he breaks out of the hospital he returns to his hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois to resume his murderous ways. The plot is simple yet so effective because of John Carpenter's flawless direction. With help with the best Final Girl of all time Jamie Lee Curtis this has become one of the most influential horror films of all time.

Carpenter creates the perfect horror monster in Michael Myers (who is referred to in the credits as only "The Shape"). Myer's is intimidating, creepy and threatening and the site of him is enough to make me tense up. Laurie Strode is so undeniably likeable as a pure and responsible young woman and we'd hate to see her killed by this maniac.

Carpenter's music is one of the definitive horror anthems and it sets the scene for the horror that we see unfold. Its as close to perfect as any horror film can be.

Halloween gets 100 out of 100.

This wraps up my first attempt at a formal triple feature. If you happen to come across this post and have any suggestions about what I should attempt next please let me know in the comments on VIA Twitter. However, I'd like to avoid triple features of formal trilogies for now. Happy Halloween to everyone. 


Comments

Popular Posts